Something Learned
I ended my last blog with "A few things learned" from the Art on the Mesa event in which Sally, Sandy, and I participated. Well, I obviously have a lot to learn about merchandising and my list of ideas for making our next event a bit more successful just got longer. Added to it and at the top of my revised list is:
CHECKS NOT ACCEPTED - NO EXCEPTIONS!
Can I be more clear? My first big sale, a $55 fabric collage bag, was purchased with a personal check. Yes, I took a personal check! I didn't listen to that little voice inside me that said, "NOT a good idea!" Nor did I listen to Verne's slightly louder voice that said, "You're going to regret this. She has your bag and you, more than likely, have a bad check!" No, I listened to the voice of my BFF...the authority on the Santa Barbara market. Sally was so sure that Santa Barbara's locals (I'll just call them Santa Barbarians) are all well-to-do and NEVER write bad checks. She was so confident that she suggested the check be made payable to her and she'd give me cash on the spot! Feeling foolish, I accepted the check. Yesterday, the check once again was presented to me, but this time by the bank with NSF written all over it!
My first step to recover my loss was to call the person shown on the check. I fully expected to be told a story about stolen checks or identity theft, but instead the woman (she will go unnamed) answered and explained there had been a mixup at the bank. Sure!
My next step was to call the Sally Simms' Collection Agency and hand over the problem of collection of now $67. Of course, how much experience could Sally have at collecting bad debts, since Santa Barbarians don't default on their obligations? Well, Sally wasted no time and she met with the unnamed woman today. That brings me to the second addition to my revised list...
NO RETURNS - NO EXCEPTIONS!
Yes, the unthinkable happened. The unnamed woman suggested to Sally that I'd not been pleasant about the little mixup and she no longer wanted the bag. The AUDACITY of the unnamed woman! If this weren't so outrageously funny, I'd be crying. But, I'm made of tough stuff and try to live by that old saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." In my case, I don't make lemonade, but instead sit down at the computer and blog!
Labels: General

2 Comments:
Yep! Good lesson to learn. Never trust Santa Barbarians.
First of all, your bad carma has nothing to do with me or Santa Barbara. When you start out with negative thoughts, then bad things happen, like bad checks. I have never had one and I even take checks from Amador Co.
As for you being a little snippy in your dealings with the unnamed woman, telling her I have your bad check and you have my bag, was not quite the right approach. And Verne backing you up by saying you were not rude, give me break, Verne doesn't know what rude is. but we love him and he has to sleep with you. Lastly, when you get lemons make pie, butter, or cookies if you don't want lemonade.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home