December Update and a Happy New Year!
December
was a productive month for me and I'm going to try to maintain my quilting
focus right into the New Year. I have to admit my dedication was not by choice. I had
Christmas commitments that required that I spend the first three weeks of the
month in the studio focused and quilting. My primary challenge was Cece's
puzzle quilt for her daughter. It was equal in size to the batik star quilt she
made in the fall…90” square. However, it was more difficult as the design was
centered, rather than rows of blocks. Unless you’ve quilted a large piece like
it, it’s hard to explain why the centered design is more challenging. Just
trust me on this…it was tough in terms of size, design, and color changes
within the quilt. I was right to be concerned as it didn’t quilt up without problems
and I spent a bit of time picking out stitches before it was completed. But,
the final result was worth every minute stitching, picking, swearing, and the
like.
The
day after I’d completed the quilt and delivered it to Cece, I was relaxing by
reading one of my quilting magazines. An article by a master quilter called “9
Things Your Longarmer Won’t Tell You” covered nine challenges/frustrations I’ve
personally experienced over the past three years since getting the Gammill and
experienced as recently as the prior week while working on the puzzle quilt. In
summary, longarm quilting is not easy! It’s Hard! There are hours spent just
staring at the piece trying to decide on an appropriate design...even if it’s
straight line stitching. The next hurdle is thread choice. And then there are
the mistakes that inevitably happen). They have to be picked out stitch by
stitch (15 minutes of stitching can result in 3 hours of picking!). I was so
happy to read the article and so relieved to know that I’m not the first to
pick out stitches and not alone in finding design and thread color a major
challenge.
I
actually didn’t begin the month with Cece’s puzzle quilt (tried to put it off
as long as possible), but started with her modern quilt made at the November
retreat. I was excited about the fabric she used (and I chose) from the onset
and wasn’t disappointed in the results. In contrast, Cece had trouble
visualizing it made into the modern pattern and was at best lukewarm from the
beginning. Good news, however, she is pleased with the finished result. Our
reactions to the same fabric are interesting as she typically prefers the soft
neutral colors primary to the fabric and I don’t, but prefer bright, clear
colors. One of the things I like most about modern quilts is the use of neutral
colors, whites and grays. It's refreshing after years of busy, bold fabrics.
My
next project also held a certain urgency as it was my modern quilt to be given
to Lauren as a Christmas gift. I started it a few days before her arrival home
for the holidays. I wasn’t concerned about timing until I realized I was just
slightly short on the backing fabric. Oops! Either I miscounted or the pattern
was way off on the number of background strips required. Anyway, I was a few
inches short and that meant a few extra hours spent planning and piecing the
backing. I wasn’t about to just
piece on a few of those 1-1/4” strips. Oh no! I wanted something interesting
that would include the small piece of bird fabric I had left from the project
along with a floral from my stash that coordinated beautifully as well as some
of the bright strips I used in piecing the top. It came together nicely and
until Lauren reads this blog she will assume the backing was just another
example of my creative genius! LOL!!!
I'd hoped to complete a fourth quilt this month, but Lauren arrived on the 21st and my time was spent with her for the next ten days. Although my longarming was over for the month, we were productive and spent just about every day working in the studio. The first project we (actually, "she") tackled was her foundation pieced project from January, 2013. She was determined to free-motion quilt it herself and she did just that. Her stitching was excellent and that was after just a few hours practice. Incredible!
It's the beginning of a new year. I always sit down on January 1st and make a list of things I want to accomplish in the new year. It keeps me on track and as Martha would say, it's a good thing! Try it...in twelve months you'll be pleasantly surprised with all you've accomplished. Happy New Year!
Labels: General, Longarm Update

1 Comments:
Hahaha! You totally fooled me with the back of my Christmas quilt. It is absolutely beautiful! I just thought you were being extra creative and dedicated to a wonderful design. Well done!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home