Better late than never...
…so the saying goes.
How many years has it been? Eight, maybe nine? Was it to be a surprise
for Verne’s 65th birthday? It’s been so long I can’t even remember
the occasion.
Let me share a few things I’ve learned from this experience. The longer I waited to finish this
project, the harder it was to get my head around it. When I finally decided to
make it a priority (at the urging of several people…most recently, Lauren), I
discovered I was short three boot blocks, had lost the original pattern, and
was shy about a ¼ yard of the background fabric, which is no longer available.
I measured each of the pieces in the finished boot and came up with a pattern,
of sorts (missed the mark on the first of the three boots, which ended up with
a squattier heal and very, very pointy toe). Lauren was home for the Christmas
holiday, so she helped me make them. I cut, she sewed. I’d originally had a
pattern for the boot block, but not the finished quilt. So, it came as a
surprise when I started sewing blocks together and realized I needed two more
strips 2-1/2” x 60” long. Oops! I had no more fabric. I responded to the
challenge by removing the border along the top and one side, which had been
sewn as part of each block. At that point, I was determined to finish the quilt
and not let a small thing like “not enough fabric” keep me from doing so. I
added the borders and put it in the cabinet for quilting.
Now, I know you each have your own stories about the cabinet
of quilt tops waiting to be quilted, “the pipeline”…there are quilt tops in that cabinet that have
not seen the light of day in years! Thus began the “intervention”...the loving
nudges, reminders, encouragement (let's call it by it's rightful name - nagging) to just bump the boot quilt to the front of
the queue and finish it! It came from all directions this time (Lauren, Maria,
Sally, and Verne). Yes, very recently I had told Verne about the quilt we were
making as a surprise for one of his birthdays. Big mistake! Every day for the
last month he’s asked if I’d be working on his quilt that day. When could he expect
it? He’d always wanted his own
quilt. The list goes on…
Well, I'm here to tell you that it’s Done. Finished! And here’s a picture of the birthday boy with his boot quilt! Better late than never...
P.S. Thank you to the following "boot makers" for your participation in this project: Jana, Lara, Lauren, Maria, Raelin, Sally, Susan, Trish
Labels: General, Longarm Update

2 Comments:
I love it! Dad is adorable and the quilt looks fantastic. :) well done to all!
I love it too! I also love the one slightly different boot! The whole thing is cute and Verne really loves it!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home