Three Months Down
March brought rain and daffodils…
and several days in the studio. The first part of the month was spent working on the pet portrait (Fresita) I wrote about earlier in March.
Then there was our fabulous weekend in So Cal celebrating my birthday with Jana
and making bagels with Sally. We left Santa Barbara with another quilt to add
to the queue…this one went to the front of the line as it’s a graduation gift
for Sally’s grandson. Sandy was planning a trip to Amador County the following
week, so I wasted no time and quilted it within a few days of returning home
from our trip. It’s a cute pattern that we’ll all want to make. Imagine Snappy
Square on the diagonal with a border of 9-patches.
I know I’ve said it before, but every month end I’m reminded
of the importance of this blog…my on-line journal. As the end of each month
approaches my priorities change and I spend more time in the studio. Why? So
I’ll have more to report. March was no different than previous months and I
spent the last two days of the month from early in the morning until late
afternoon working hard to complete a second quilt for the month. I promised
Lauren at the beginning of this year (and the beginning of 2013 and previous
years!) that I would make her a priority and quilt her tops that have been
hanging around since she graduated from Berkeley. I really try to keep the
queue first-in, first-out, but that rarely happens. Her beautifully pieced tops
keep getting pushed to the rear of the line and all but forgotten. I am determined
to make good on the promise I made to my sweet (but tart) daughter...to complete all of her quilts in 2014. I'd best qualify that...all of her quilt tops received prior to December 31, 2013 (she just finished four new quilts this past quarter).
Again, as I’ve said before, one of the greatest challenges
in quilting is determining the appropriate design and thread color. Well, this one couldn’t have been easier. The quilt top I chose was comprised of large blocks
made from yellow, orange, pink batik strata with a border of strata. It took
only minutes and I had my inspiration. I quilted one of three variations of large
sunflowers (mimicking a print in one of the fabrics) in each block and half sunflowers around the border using a
variegated thread. It was one of my easiest quilting jobs and possibly my best.
I finished it in two days…just in time to take with us to Portland and deliver it to Lauren!
Labels: Longarm Update


2 Comments:
Thank you so much, Mommy! This is the most beautiful quilting you've done yet. :) I am in awe of your talent. That being said...tart? Hmmmm...I guess I know someone who wants to be on Santa's naughty list this year. You'll have to get going on that promise to stay off. ;)
You've been considered "tart" ever since Leone Laird likened you to a Granny Smith apple! I consider you more sweet-tart, like a Pink Lady.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home