Sunday, June 1, 2014

May - A Productive Month

As longarm quilting goes, May was one of my better months. I completed four quilts. The first was a quilt top of Cece's that had been around for more than a year (maybe two, but who's counting?). An oldie, but goodie! Not as oldie as some of the quilts in the queue, but oldie enough. Cece made this quilt using a windmill template her son gave her for Mother's Day or some other occasion (it's been so long I don't remember and she probably doesn't either). Anyway, I'd seen the finished quilt made from the template at Meisnner's and thought it was pretty cute. That is, until Cece told me about the process of making the windmill quilt. You begin by cutting and sewing squares of fabric together (visualize a finished Snappy Square quilt). Next, you place the template on the intersections of the squares lining up the guides on the template with the seams and you cut apart the entire quilt. Yes, you read it right. Next, you sew the new blocks together again. Deja vu! If constructing a quilt twice is not bad enough, there's about a 50% waste of fabric after you've cut it a second time. That's when I decided the quilt is just not that cute... until I got it out and quilted it in early May. The finished project is beautiful...


I next quilted a French Rose for Sally, which she will be giving to her granddaughter for junior high graduation. Sandy was in town visiting for a few days and she dropped it off on a Tuesday and left with the finished quilt Wednesday afternoon. Pretty quick turnaround for both the quilting and Sandy's door-to-door delivery service! 


The bulk of the quilts in the queue are Lauren's and I've promised to quilt one of hers each month. Of course, that just keeps up with her current production as she's already sent me six new quilt tops this year. But, to keep my word (and keep her happy) my next project was Lauren's Dr. Seuss Snappy Square quilt. Thanks to Verne, both of the girls (especially Lauren) have a lot of "child" in them and a Dr. Seuss quilt at age 27 seems very appropriate to her. LOL!


My final quilt of the month was Maria's On the Edge that she made when she visited in late April (see April 30th blog post for a picture). We both made one, mine for my niece in Missouri and Maria's for her friend who turns 50 this fall. I really like this pattern...it's my new Snappy Square quilt. Actually, come to think of it, I have quilted over a dozen Snappy Squares, but never made one myself! 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home