Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Time files when you're having fun...

The first week of February I decided to update the blog and report on all I hadn't accomplished in January. But, first I reread all of my month-end blog updates for 2012. I laughed when I read and reread my excuses for lack of productivity..."the studio was just too cold to work" or "the studio was just too hot to work" or "I was just too busy traveling"...each month I came up with another excuse. That's the beauty of keeping a journal (or blog in this case)! It provides such perfect insight and accountability to one's self. I laughed when I read my reasons for being a slacker and, surprisingly, "cut myself some slack" and accepted them. Although I occasionally missed the mark, overall, I accomplished a lot in 2012...trying and mastering a few new techniques, piecing several quilt tops, longarming 20+ quilt, and hosting three retreats and several individual mini-retreats. All is good. I'm through making excuses. During this next year, I intend to continue list-making and setting monthly goals (that's just who I am), while accepting my downtime as creative rejuvenation. Recharging one's batteries is equally important to the creative process as time spent in the studio. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...for now!

The last two months have gone by quickly. We made two trips to Portland in January, both for the purpose of breeding Julie. She came into heat in late December when we were busy with company, but were ready to load her up and drive to Portland when her second heat arrived in January. We left her with Lauren for three weeks (to better ensure results) and returned to Portland late in the month to pick her up. It seems Ernest did his deed and we are expecting kitten(s) March 10th.  

Vera Allen, who I mentioned in an earlier blog, spent a few days with me in January/February. In addition to the flannel rag quilt she made, we worked on denim/flannel lined bibs for her grandpa who suffers from Parkinson's disease. We had a great time working together in the studio and finishing our days with Verne's great dinners.

This past weekend Cece drove over the mountain and spent four days with us. We worked on the same Valorie Wells foundation pieced quilt "Firefly" I have hanging over my machine in the studio. Here's a pic to refresh your memory...



Cece's will be quite different as the background fabric is a very ethnic looking piece with lots of golds/browns and accents of teal/turquoise/greens. She made great progress. Another couple of days stitching and she'll be ready to come back for another visit and put the quilt together. I'll include a picture when it's completed.

I really enjoy the individual mini-retreats. Plan a visit and we'll work together on a project of your choice. I will only be having one group retreat this year sometime in the fall after Maria returns from her summer fishing trip...probably mid-October. Mark your calendars.


  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home