Betty
With the exception of just a few people (including myself), everyone who attended Patt Blair's class last weekend painted portraits of their pets. Cute, but they really didn't do much for me. For one thing, I'm really not sure what I'd do with another small "art" quilt, and especially one of Julie, who I see all the time. However, I'm really feeling fired up right now and looking for subjects to paint. It was this line of thinking that led me to an "aha" moment...What if I were to incorporate the portrait into something that was useful...like a tote or a pillow? Now that appeals to me. (You know how I love "functional" art and new opportunities to use my Funtionality labels!)
I know what you're thinking (I'm thinking it, too!)...not another tote!!! However, I envision this to be a very special tote. One to be used when you walk your dog or take your dog to the park for a play date. It includes a portrait of the pet, a pocket for doggy waste bags and treats, and a large interior for the owner's paraphernalia. Don't kid yourself, it's actually just like the dozens of other totes we've made, but with a painted portrait on the front. Well, I spent the last couple of days developing my idea and the results aren't half bad. I had a great picture Maria had emailed me last year of her dog, Betty. I got to work yesterday morning and painted Betty's portrait in record time and by early afternoon I was quilting it to the front of the bag. It's now Sunday afternoon and the bag is finished. In fact, it's already en route to Maria who will be returning home next week to Seattle from a three-month long fishing trip. I can't wait to see what she thinks...
Labels: General


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home