So, What's Up?
Every month or so we spend a day in Nevada and whether necessary or not, we stop by to see Cece. I'm always anxious to see her latest projects and Monday's trip didn't disappoint. There was an intricately designed needlepoint in progress, a tulip patchwork quilt nearly completed, and (get ready to see what could be our next group project) this adorable elephant made from fabric scraps. It's raw-edge applique, finished with a blanket stitch, and then quilted. Cece quilted this herself using free-motion meandering in the background and she did a great job! Kudos to you, Cece!
She bought the pattern at a quilt show and has since purchased the tulip pattern from the same company. Check out this web site (www.bjdesignsandpatterns.com) for other patterns and choose one to make at our next retreat. The website home page says "wholesale only," but according to Cece they sell retail also. I'm think May 2015 would be a good time for a Stix Retreat, so that gives you plenty of time to prepare.
So, what's up with me??? I've been consumed by jamming; actually, my obsession has expanded to pickling. Whatever I am putting in a jar and processing, it took up much of July and has now encroached upon August. This past week I've tried to break the fixation by hanging up my apron for at least an hour a day and walking to the cabin and hanging out with Mr. Ernest (the resident cat). My first day back was spent doing nothing but that. He was so happy to finally have some quality time with his human, he wouldn't leave me alone! I was still feeling uninspired on Day 2, but I decided to just choose a project and begin! I've since spent five hours cutting (my least favorite part of quilting) and with another 2-3 hours I'll be ready to begin sewing on a poppy quilt that was originally intended for yours truly. At this point, I still may end up with it or it may be given in trade for a set of silverware that I don't need. How do I get myself into these things??? I'll say no more, but will post pictures as I progress. For now, here's how it looks...
I'm beginning to work on a second project, which comes with a history. Most of you know that my 52-year old niece is suffering from liver cancer. My sister is with her in Missouri and together they have been going through boxes of old pictures and keepsakes that Leanne wants to distribute amongst her two adult sons and her 13-year old daughter, Emma. In addition to photos (Leanne worked in the field for years, so there are literally hundreds of them), Leanne has two antique quilts in various stages of completion. Years ago she salvaged a box of quilt blocks and a quilt top that was completely pieced, but not quilted. that my mother was going to toss (she was a loving woman, but not particularly sentimental). Leanne has little information about the quilts and believes a great- or great-great-grandmother made them. She intended to complete the projects started almost a hundred years ago, but has never gotten around to it. Well, I now have the box of quilt blocks and I'm determined to help Leanne realize that dream. I'll be picking up the second quilt when we visit her in September.
Let's talk about those16 quilt blocks that arrived this week as they hold a few mysteries for me.
Mystery #1: The quilt blocks are pieced on the machine using 30's fabrics and muslin for the background. The 30's fabric helped me establish that it was more than likely my great-grandmother who was the quilter (I grew up next door to my grandmother and never saw her quilt or saw a quilt displayed in her home so I knew it wasn't her...although, it's strange that she wouldn't have displayed her mother's quilts?!). Anyway, I surmised that it was Great-Grandmother Moore who made the quilts and that she would have been in her 50's or 60's at the time. Feasible. I received a clue this morning from my sister (she got it from my brother's widow, Nola) that blew up that theory. It was actually my father's mother who was the quilter...a grandmother I never got to know as she died before I was born. So, Grandma Wier was a quilter...Interesting!
Mystery #2 is not so easily solved. The machine stitched pieces have been machine blanket stitched to the muslin background! What? Did home sewing machines even have that feature back then? (Something for me to research.) Leanne got these blocks from my mother over 30 years ago and apparently my mom didn't know or share the history of the quilts, so this may remain a mystery forever.
Beyond being puzzled by the source of these quilts and the machine blanket stitching, the blocks were as I expected...yellowed and musty smelling. They'd been stored in a plastic bag, which I've always heard is a no-no (maybe because it causes the yellowing?). Anyway, I decided that I couldn't work with smelly blocks, so I washed them this morning and, lo and behold, they came out bright and fresh smelling. There are still a few small stains, but then they are probably over 85 years old so it comes with the territory. There was some shrinkage, but I ironed them and am hoping much of it can be quilted out.
I was pleased when I saw and recognized the fabrics used for the piecing in these blocks as I have a pretty sizable collection of retro 30's fabrics. Unfortunately, Lauren was looking for new projects to work on and I took her a pattern and my entire 30's collection when we visited last month. Dang! Not a single one to be found in my 36 bins of fabric. I don't want to buy more fabric, but it's that or spend $15-$20 and have Lauren ship mine home. Before I make that decision, I'm off to look at 30's fabrics at the Sewing Cottage.
To be continued...
Labels: Checking In, General, Grandma Wier's Quilt

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home