Distractions
I last blogged about the Unusual Lone Star (ULS) and even included pictures of the quilt in progress. Sadly, it hasn't changed much in the last three weeks. Not to say I've been idle and I do have plans to finish it in the next few weeks. Where does the time go? We spent the past week in Portland and, as usual, had a wonderful time. Maria joined us for a couple of days and being flush with both time and money, Lauren and I took her shopping and helped outfit her with a new wardrobe. What fun! We spent two days running around the mall hunting for bargains and left with a car full of beautiful clothes and shoes. Here's a picture of Maria with some of her new duds...
Last Thursday, the four of us (Verne joined us) attended the Northwest Quilting Expo in Portland. This has become an annual event for us and one we all enjoy. The most remarkable exhibit was the Twelve by Twelve International Art Quilt Challenge Exhibit. Search on this title if you're interested in seeing the quilts, but as with most quilts, you need to see them in person. It was all I could do to stand back, admire, and not touch. The exhibit was comprised of 288 small art quilts based on monthly theme and color challenges made by 12 different artists. It was impressive!
I spent most of my wad during the first 1/2 hour, buying more ink and paraphernalia for my upcoming Patt Blair class, purchasing a berry colored Tutto sewing case (which came in handy to wheel around our purchases), and bought some solid fabrics from the Stitchin' Post. The girls each found a few must-have patterns/projects. Having time on her hands as she searches for a job, a few weeks ago Lauren called the event organizer and volunteered to work the show on Friday and Saturday. Interestingly, she was assigned to a vendor, who turned out to be the first kiosk we visited and the man selling the inks I purchased for my class. His demo used the inks in a very different way than the techniques taught in Patt Blair's class, but he was very entertaining and never without a crowd. Lauren finished her work as I am writing this and called to let me know that her boss of two days paid her mileage/parking/meals and $250 in appreciation of her hard work. Not bad for an unemployed attorney*. And, he gave her a set of metallic inks and even more paraphernalia to give to her Mommy! Now, isn't that sweet?!
Labels: General

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home