Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Another Donation Quilt and More

Lauren's visit this month was far too short and we had far too little time quilting together. This was due in part to the scorching-hot weather, which made it impossible to work in the cabin past about 2 pm, and two trips to Sac and one to Carson City, which used up three of our days together. I'm not suggesting those days weren't enjoyable (had a few "must see" movies on our list, including Hope Springs, which was very cute, and The Beasts of the Southern Wild, which I would have enjoyed more with sub-titles as I couldn't understand a single word), but that time could have been spent stitching together! She came with a prioritized list and at the top was to make her donation quilt for one of DD Lou's cancer kids (I now call Dianna, our resident nurse at Cottage Hospital, Outpatient Services in Santa Barbara, "DD Lou" as that is her Words With Friends name. We always have 2-3 games going and she has become DD Lou to me. So, DD Lou it is!) Back to Lauren, here she is with her finished blanket that will be sent on to OPS.  
Not on her list was helping me make Verne's 95-year old mother and Lauren's grandmother a quilt for her birthday, but my sweetie did it willingly and with her usual enthusiasm. Made completely from our stash of Moda pastels (which is dwindling), the French Rose quilt below is perfect for Clara, both in color and size. She seems to shrink a little with each year and this 60" square quilt will be more than generous in size for her bed or lap as she sits and cross stitches.
Finally, Lauren was able to begin a new project, which will be given to her best friend from law school, Torrie Poplin, who now lives in Chicago. We first saw this quilt, designed by Jean Wells, on the cover of a quilting magazine Cece brought to our last retreat. Cece bought the fabric for the quilt as a kit and made it this past month. We put together a similar collection of fabrics completely from our stash. This has become a stash-busting month and it feels good! Here's the first block of the quilt...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Sally said...

You girls do good work. All the projects are beautiful.

 
At August 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Lauren said...

I had the best time at my private retreat. And I must second the sentiment that it simply went by too fast. I wish I could have been home for a full month, although I know that even that amount of time wouldn't have been enough quilting time with my Mommy (go A-Team!).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home