Another Successful Retreat
Where do I begin? How can I possibly describe in a few short paragraphs the incredible weekend we just enjoyed? Imagine Perfect Weather (high 70's with a slight breeze); a Perfect Studio (take a look at my blog from June 24th to know all that Verne and I did to prepare the cabin for this event); a Perfect Setting (background sounds of our chickens and occasional crowing of the rooster, about 20 head of cattle grazing in the field, the vinca major surrounding the cabin in its summer glory...you get the picture); Perfect Food prepared by our own Chef Verno with the enthusiasm of Alton Brown (an Asian pork tenderloin with stir-fried green beans one night, Chicken Diane on another, two of the best fresh blueberry/blackberry pies I've ever eaten! and on and on); a Perfect Project that taught three new techniques (new twists to old techniques for some). All of this was just background to the pleasure of spending three days with a group of fun-loving friends and fellow Stix Chix...sewing, ripping, laughing and just having a good time!!!
A few unplanned things happened over the weekend that further added to the enjoyment of our June Retreat:
Neil, who I will now call Roach-Coach Neil, showed up around lunchtime on Saturday with a truck full of food (this is no exaggeration). Wanting this to be a surprise and not knowing our likes and dislikes, Neil brought lunch-making food for every persuasion. He'd prepared a delicious ham (his own recipe requiring four days of preparation) and all the sandwich fixins', a deconstructed fruit salad (separate bowls for about a dozen different fresh fruits), chips, and a finale of jello with whipped cream! It makes me smile just thinking about it! Neil, you are one of the sweetest, kindest, most thoughtful people I know!
Sunday brought another pleasant surprise. Knowing my interest in learning to bead, Sandy invited one of her Sutter Creek friends, Lori Yardley, to drop by for a few hours to give me a lesson in the Peyote Stitch. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most social person and not always open to making new acquaintances, so while I appreciated Sandy's intentions and Lori's willingness to drive to Volcano to help me...I was lukewarm to the idea. Well, all I can say is: I've met a kindred spirit! Within a few hours on Sunday and long calls/conversations each of the next three days, I was completely enchanted with this amazing young woman.
To those who attended the June Retreat and read this blog...thank you for making it such a success. I had a wonderful time! Here are a few pics...
Labels: Stix Retreat June 2012

4 Comments:
The retreat sounds wonderful! I wish I could have been there. But I was certainly there in spirit and through numerous phone calls. :)
What a great time we had. Many thanks to Joyce and master chef Verne. they outdid themselves. Besides finishing projects, I was able to put together another quilt to add to Joyces stash to quilt. Maybe this will be a 4 quilt month. Go Joyce. I am going to completly redo my quilting area, the studio was so well organized and easy to work in.
I'm hoping you'll be able to attend the next retreat. Of course, I don't know where you'll stay as "Lauren's Room" has become "Sally's Room"! Guess you two will have to arm wrestle for the bed...loser can sleep on the flop-and-go!
I definitely need to pick up the pace in July and get four quilts done...beginning with yours! I'm writing this on July 7th after the last of our company has left (ten straight days of guests) and plan to spend the balance of the month in the studio. I'll surface occasionally for food and, of course, our Tuesdays in town. Rest of the time I'll be sewing, quilting, and beading like a crazy woman! And, if I have something important to say...I'll Blog!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home