Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Longarm Projects (and Other Stuff) Completed in July

In spite of a slow start (through mid-month), I managed to longarm four quilts. The first was Sally's Petite Prism made from Moda fabrics and the second and third quilts were for Lauren, another Moda Petite Prism she made during spring break in March 2012 and a French Rose. Actually, Lauren didn't make the French Rose, Maria did several years ago as a graduation gift for Lauren. No...not a gift for graduating from Lewis and Clark Law School this past May, but from Berkeley. Shame on me!!! It's been waiting to be quilted for 3+ years. Oh well, there are some even older than that...a few that Jana made before she started college in 2002 or 2003 (when was it???)! The fourth quilt (just eked out this past weekend - two days before monthend) was Maria's Kaffe Fassett snowball quilt made at the February retreat. Kudos to me!!! Four quilts longarmed in one month...this has got to be some kind of record (for me, anyway)!

While I admit I was sluggish the first half of July, I did do a few good things during those two weeks...I finished the beaded bracelet I started in May and kick-started with the help of Lori Yardley in June. Again with Lori's help, I started and finished a peyote bracelet I'm calling Broken Wing (it's a solid peyote stitched cuff with three blue birds sitting on a branch) and gave it to Sally as a belated birthday gift. I love it and plan to make myself one and call it Bluebird of Happiness (from the movie KPax).

Here's a pic of Broken Wing, inspiration for the bracelet shown below. Broken Wing, a bold little bluebird living in Santa Barbara, spends much of his time in and around Sally's courtyard. He's always on the lookout for Good Eats...he considers peanuts to be the creme-de-la-creme of birdie treats and (to save Sally a few steps, I'm sure) he will walk into her kitchen, jump on the counter, and help himself to her stash of peanuts! 
Now here's a pic of the finished beaded bracelet...I think there is very close likeness to Broken Wing. What do you think?

Finally in July, I started the Unusual Lone Star by Karen Stone. Haven't gotten too far with it, but the fabric is stacked next to my machine along with about a dozen finished blocks. It calls to me whenever I'm working (or not working) in the studio. I'll get back to it in August...and that's a promise! 



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home