An Historical Undertaking (cont'd from August 13, 2014)
Thanks for taking this journey with me. I could have just
quietly worked on this project and included a short paragraph at month end with
a picture of the finished quilt. I ask you…What fun would that be? Instead I’m
including you every step of the way. You will know the challenges I face, the
thought process I go through, and the sometimes faulty conclusions I draw. I
intend to bare all!
I have to admit, I’m beginning to feel some attachment to
this quilt. It’s drawing me in quite against my will. I have never had much of
an interest in antiques or old things in general (people being an exception). When
I opened the box earlier this week and first handled the squares, I understood
why my mother was going to toss them. She’d carried them from Michigan in 1947
to her new home in Tucson, Arizona (I was conceived in Michigan, born in Tucson
in March, 1948) and I’m sure she considered them clutter, long overdue for the
trash. After all, she felt no real
connection to her mother-in-law and there were so many new and improved fabrics
on the market…like polyester (my mother was totally into polyester). And, she
was not a quilter and would have seen no real purpose in a stack of pieced
squares.
Back to my journey…I started to feel some connection to the
quilt as I was ironing each square yesterday afternoon and trying to imagine
the quilter whose work I am about to finish. Leanne has spent years researching
our family genealogy and put together a fairly complete history of my mother’s
side, the Moore’s. Before she researched my father’s family, she spent a couple
of years attending community college. Between studying and raising a young
child, she had no time to return to the genealogy work and has asked that Judy
and I continue her work and research and prepare the history of the Wier
family. Yikes! This is not something I would ever choose to do and, until
receiving these quilt blocks, had no interest in genealogy. But now, that’s all
changed. I need to know more about Grandma Wier. At a minimum, I want a framed
picture of my kindred spirit hanging in my Studio!
I left off yesterday with an unsolved mystery…the blanket stitch on the blocks. I’ve made a discovery and, frankly, I’m feeling very
embarrassed about having to admit to you that I was so, so wrong! If you
weren’t accompanying me on this journey, you never would have known, So many
“if’s”… I’ll just blurt it right out and then give you my excuses: I was wrong, both the piecing and the blanket-stitching
are done by hand, not machine!
How did I miss it? My only excuse is that the lighting was
not adequate and my glasses were dirty (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it).
Actually, the first part of that excuse is accurate. I have great lighting in
the cabin, but it creates so much heat in the summer that I sometimes work in
the near-dark, as I was when I examined the blocks. Well, this morning Verne drove
me to town to run some errands and stop by to buy fabric needed to finish the
quilt. While he ran into the post office, I was sitting in the car with the sun
beating through the window and I looked down at the quilt blocks in my lap and
saw that the blanket stitch was actually two part: a machine stitching line
within 1/8” of the turned edge and a much thicker pearl cotton thread used to
create the decorative edge. I couldn’t believe I’d missed that! Having made one
mistake, I decided that I might also be mistaken on the technique used to
construct the blocks. I pulled at the seams and yes; they were also hand
stitched in the tiniest possible stitches, mimicking machine stitches. The only
machine stitching on each block is to secure the design to the backing…the
visible stitching that fooled me on the blanket stitch. All I could say was,
“Grandma Wier, I’m sorry for suggesting you would cut corners and use a machine
to blanket stitch your work. You must have been rolling over in your grave when
you heard me say that. By the way, you certainly did beautiful handwork. I
can’t wait to see some of your other quilts.”
With Mystery #2 solved, this probably isn’t necessary, but
Verne spent time researching the blanket stitch question I raised yesterday, so
I’m going to include the information for your edification.
“This
stitch has long been both an application by hand and as a machine sewn stitch.
When done by hand, it is sometimes considered a crochet stitch,
used to join pieces together to make a blanket or other larger item.
When
done by machine, it may be called a whip stitch or, sometimes, a Merrow Crochet Stitch, after the
first sewing machine that was used to sew a
blanket stitch. This machine was produced and patented by the Merrow Machine Company in 1877. The defining
characteristic of the crochet machine is its ability to sew with yarn and
stitch thick goods with a consistent overlock edge.
From 1877-1925 the machine evolved dramatically, and consequently so did the
capacity of manufacturers to produce goods with the whip stitch.” Source:
Wikipedia
I now find myself at a crossroad…I’d decided to finish the
top with a 1” sashing and cornerstones to add a little color as well as provide
a quilting line around the blocks. I took the stack of blocks to the Sewing
Cottage in Jackson and to my surprise soon found myself surrounded by quilters interested
in the old piece. Our hometown-quilting expert, Anelie Belden, immediately identified
the block as a Dresden Plate, a classic design that has been around for
centuries. In fact, she’s written a book on the subject of Dresden Plates and
said that she’d research my particular version of the Dresden Plate and that
she might be able to determine when it was designed and first published. Yeah!
I’ve never had one iota of interest in classic designs, but I’m beginning to
feel a stirring way down deep. I think Grandma Wier wants me to make a Dresden
Plate quilt in her honor. I thought I was just imagining her presence with me
yesterday in the Studio, but I’m beginning to believe she’s with us on this
journey. Who would have thought?
I digress…the crossroad is this: Anelie said that the
sashing and cornerstone approach would have been typical in that era, but she
wants me to consider omitting the extra fabric (which I’d just bought) and
simply sew the squares together. By doing so, a secondary design is created by
the 3-piece fans at each corner. I know, this is hard to imagine. Bottom line
is this: I’m not sure which road to take. Time is of the essence, but I think
I’ll just give it a day or two and hope that Grandma Wier makes herself heard
giving me a clear idea of what she had planned.
To be continued…
Labels: Checking In, General, Grandma Wier's Quilt

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home