A Family Connection (cont'd from August 17, 2014)
Isn’t it interesting how styles come and go and then come
again? Slight changes, but still rooted in the past. Is anything really new? In
my last blog I told you about my meeting with Anelie Beldin and her quick
identification of the pattern used to make the quilt blocks I’ve been
assembling. I’m still waiting to hear from Anelie regarding the name of the particular
design, but she is certain it falls in the family of the Dresden Plate. A bit
of research has produced a wealth of information about the Dresden Plate and
over a couple hundred examples of various versions of the pattern.
Inspired by elaborately designed porcelain plates from
Dresden, Germany during the 19th century, the quilt design became
popular and widely available in the 1920’s. It was not always under the name
Dresden Plate and was sometimes called Grandmother’s Sunburst, Friendship Ring,
Aster, Dahlia and Sunflower. The common characteristic of various patterns is
the petals that radiate from a center point, which typically create a flower
shape.
The more I look at Grandma Wier’s quilt, the more I like it.
I have several ideas for my own more contemporary version of the same pattern.
It will look nothing like the soft colored quilt you saw in my last blog. It
will be a burst of contrasting colors that will showcase shapes within shapes.
Yet, it will be rooted in the Dresden Plate pattern that dates back over 200
hundred years.
Just as my Dresden Plate quilt will have connections to the
past, I’ve been realizing more and more family connections as a result of this
project. First of all, if I described to you a person who loves cats, loves to
cook, and loves to quilt, who would you think of…ME, of course! Well, actually
I’m describing my Grandma Wier. As I’ve sent out emails to family members in an
effort to determine who might have a Wier quilt or information about our
grandmother, these are a few things I’ve learned. I should also mention that
she was a less that perfect housekeeper…also a similarity. We all know that if
it weren’t for my full-time housekeeper, Verne, I’d probably live in a mess of
fabric scraps and cat hair.
My efforts have also paid off with another quilt top. My
brother’s daughter, Lori, who still resides in Tucson, Arizona, has one of
Grandma’s quilt tops. It’s a pattern called Grandmother’s Flower Garden or
French Bouquet, considered the most popular pattern after 1925. I still see versions
of it today. It’s comprised of small hexagons of different colors put together
in circular shapes. Lori sent me photos of her quilt top along with a
letter from her mother (my sister-in-law) dated January, 2012. The following
are captions from the letter:
“Now for some history behind this [quilt]:
"I received this quilt from Virginia [my mother] when I was
either 17 or 18 years old [I would have been about 10 or 11 then]. They were
packed in a chest in the front bedroom of their home in Tucson, which I think
was on a street just about four blocks to the west of goyette Street named
Eastview or something similar. [It’s actually called Eastgate Drive.] I was there one
day and for some reason we were in that room and she had the chest open and
showed them to me. Well, I went gaga over them and she just said something to
the effect of – take them, we don’t need them.
“She said they were all made by George and Ned’s mother [that
is my father and his brother who lived with us most of his life], who as I recalled
dies before your dad was born. She said this great-grandmother of yours quilted
all the time, had quilts everywhere. Apparently she did not put much value in
cleaning her house, but sure could cook and quilt.
“Anyway, one was a blue and orange pieced fan quilt that I
quilted when I lived in Payson and gave to Gary and Pam [her son and his wife].
They lost/misplaced that years ago. Then there was the green one made of over
2,000 little 1-inch squares called Garden Walk. I think I did that one a few
years after the blue and orange one, and for the life of me I do not know what
happened to it. Seems like I kept if for myself, but I
have no recollection. So, this one is the only surviving top.”
Fascinating!
Here are the pictures of Lori’s quilt top, one of Grandma
Wier’s few surviving quilts…
Labels: Checking In, General, Grandma Wier's Quilt



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home