Where'd September Go?
I just checked StixChix to see when I’d last blogged and was
shocked to realize it’s been more than a month. Not a normal month, but a
whirlwind month. We are always comfortably busy, but since assuming certain roles
within the MFP (you know by now what that stands for: Master Food Preservers)
program, my phone calls have doubled and my inbox is full each day of primary
emails (not promotions, but the kind from people in your contact list). I joke
about being an MFP-VIP (you know how it works…the more letters following your
name, the more important you are), but I’m actually beginning to feel like
there’s some truth to that. Anyway, the bottom line is this: between taking two
trips, which account for about half of the month, and being consumed by my new
interest, I don’t know how I got anything done at home.
But, I did and I’m pleased to say I actually managed to
quilt two tops during September and finished piecing the poppy quilt hanging
that you’ve seen going together. I was, of course, under a bit of pressure to
complete each of the quilts as one was for Maria’s brother, who turned 40 in
September and had a big bash/family reunion in Spokane to celebrate, and the
other was Grandma Wier’s quilt, which I personally delivered to my niece and
her daughter in Missouri. Before I give you an update on the latter, I’ll show
you a picture of Maria’s quilt. She had it made in May or June before she left
on her most recent fishing trip. (Yes, I’ve had it all summer and just got
around to doing it. I have no excuse. Let’s just focus on the positive…I got it
to her in time.)
Grandma Wier’s quilt (I can now refer to her as Isabelle)
turned out really well. Even I am amazed when I think back to the package of musty-smelling,
yellowed blocks I received in the mail and the interesting journey I’ve had
this past month learning bits and pieces about my grandmother. The jury is
still out on whether or not it’s a Dresden Plate or Drunkard’s Path, but
whatever it is, it’s a little bit of Grandma and a little bit of me, her
granddaughter, and I’m so pleased to learn that I’m so much like her. It must
be genetic! Before long I may know even more about Isabelle as Verne and I
returned home from Missouri with a binder of research Leanne has completed on
genealogy and I’m soon to receive a box from my sister with four more binders
and books of additional work. The idea here is that Verne and I take over
Leanne’s ancestry work and mission to trace both my mother’s side (near
complete) and my father’s line (nearly started). This is all I needed…another
hobby! A few months ago I would have said: Who cares?! My attitude has changed
since receiving those old quilt squares. I care! Here’s a picture of Emma and
the finished quilt…
We spent the last week in Portland attending our fourth
annual Northwest Quilt Expo. It was fantastic to say the least. I am always
reminded of my status as Novice Quilter after seeing the incredible work at
this show. I’ve barely begun to crawl and my quilt legs may never be sturdy
enough to get me through a project even close to some of the beautiful quilts
we saw at this show. They were extraordinary. The theme this year was Portland
Bridges. Just a little background, Portland is situated just a few miles from the
Oregon-Washington border, which is delineated by the Columbia River, and the
Willamette River runs through the center of the city, dividing Portland into
East and West (a road in town – Burnside – divides the city North and South,
creating four quadrants). Portland has twelve bridges crossing the Willamette
River in town and is sometimes referred to as Bridgetown. There were several dozen quilts entered
in this category and they ranged from realistic to very abstract. One of the
most beautiful abstract quilts included a background of quilted, wavy lines
that portrayed water and a series of vertical fabric pieces the bridge. So
simplistic, but I have to say it was my favorite.
Another I particularly liked leaned towards realism in
design, while using playful, bright colors. It has a feeling of evening with
the light, contrasting colors suggesting night-time lights.
One more fave…this is no ordinary
barnyard scene. The three-dimensional effects from stitched, cut, and torn
fabrics on the tail feathers forced a closer look by every passerby. It might
have been one of the more photographed quilts in the show.
Thanks to technology, I’m able to backdate this post to
October 1st, so that to the unawares it seems I came right home and blogged.
Nope! I’ve been home a week and it looks like October is going to be another
crazy month. I’ve taken a few minutes to stop in and say hello to my Cabin Cat,
Ernie, but that’s about it. I am feeling the pull, though, as the leaves are
beginning to turn and it’s looking like Fall. A combination of the quilt show
and cooler weather always inspire me to get quilting. We’ve got a quick trip to
So Cal planned this week and then we should be home the rest of the month. I’m
determined to have a productive month doing what I love most…Quilting!
Labels: General, Grandma Wier's Quilt, Longarm Update






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home