Monday, May 14, 2012

Stix Retreat - June 2012

Okay, the date is official. Our next Stix Retreat will be held June 29, 30 and July 1st. The main project will be Majestic Firs. I've selected this project, because it incorporates applique, foundation piecing, and piping all in one project (wallhanging 30"x32",  table runner 12"x51", or pillow 14x14").




The first technique we'll be learning is called Starch Method Applique. I call it "Big Girl Applique", because it is not the quick and dirty raw-edge applique we've all done, nor is it the tedious needle-turned applique. It is the latest in applique techniques and renders perfect results, but I warn you...it should not be attempted by the faint of heart. 


The second technique we'll learn (or review, for some of you) is Foundation Piecing. You'll remember that I took a class in March on this technique. I'm hooked! Love it! And, can't wait to teach you how to do it on this simple 10-piece tree design.


The final technique, which really isn't a technique at all but does add a nice touch to any quilt, is piping. It's not piping as I know it (a piece of cording enclosed in fabric and used to delineate the edge of cushions and the like). Essentially, it's a very narrow border. Look closely at the picture and you'll see it surrounding the tree block.


You'll need to bring your sewing machines and typical accoutrement (I love this word, because it always makes me think of a series of books we (Moser Fam) have read and loved about a female archeologist/sleuth, Amelia Peobody. Back to the Retreat...as the date draws closer I'll let you know what else you should bring. Originally, I was going to focus on applique and have you bring all of the tools and supplies necessary to complete a large applique project. However, since this project is using mixed techniques, we should be able to share and get by with only my tools/supplies. If you are certain that you want to do applique work beyond our class, below is a list of supplies that you will eventually need to accumulate.


1. Applique Pressing Tool (this is a mini iron with a triangular tip, pictured below)
2. Ironing Mat (the one shown below is the best as it has extra cushion on the ironing side)
3. Stiletto (a pointy tool that is used to manipulate the fabric as you iron)
4. Stencil brush (just needs to be a small, stiff-bristled brush for applying starch)
5. Fabric scissors
6. Fiskars small curved scissors (to be used on paper) 
7. 1/4" Clover bias maker
8. Roxanne's Glue Baste It
9. Aleene's OK to Wash It Glue
10. Ultimate Applique Template Paper (this isn't the thick template paper we've occasionally used)
11. Spray starch and small container with resealable lid
12. Black Identa pen or fine-point Sharpie 
13. P3 Designs Petite Needle Threader
14. P3 Designs Straw Needles #11
15. Assorted colors, 50wt DMC fine machine embroidery thread, or your favorite thread


The most expensive item is the Applique Pressing Tool, which runs $32-$40 at Joann's, but is occasionally on sale for 50% off or may be purchased using a 40% or 50% coupon.





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home