It's February 2015 and I'm Back
My last blog post was titled, “Where’d September Go?” In
keeping with that thought, this one could be called “Where’d October, November,
December and January Go?” Well, if you’ve read my Moser Good Eats blog posts
recently you’ll know that we’ve had a number of life challenges during that
time with the most recent, Jana’s diagnosis of cancer, being the most
significant and one that will be with us through most of this new year. This
sad news left me with little interest in quilting or jamming or anything else
creative. But, then I read somewhere that a family with cancer (no, we don’t
share Jana’s nausea and other side-effects, but it is on our minds each and
every moment of every day) should try to keep life as normal as possible and
continue doing those things that sustain us. For me (at least over the past few
years), that has been creative endeavors like quilting and jamming.
I’m back to doing both! I decided I needed a brainless project
and what could require less thinking than a flannel rag quilt. Out came a
collection of flannel that has been stored in one of my Rubbermaids for
over ten years. It has been so long, I even had to search for the pattern to
refresh my memory on the cutting, quantities, and seam allowances…something I
thought I’d never forget. I spent days cutting the flannel and the batting,
stitching the “X’s” on the squares, and finally sewing the 90+ blocks together.
Off to our new Joann’s in Jackson to buy a new pair of scissors, a day
clipping, into the washer/dryer and we have a new and beautiful rag blanket!
I’m always so surprised at the difference the washer/dryer make. It’s such a
pathetic looking project after it’s been clipped and before it goes through
that final step. What happens in the washer/dryer is Magic with every seam
becoming pronounced and chenille-like. Well, the Magic happened, just like it
has in the past and we have a new, cozy blanket! It’s just what I needed. I
went on to make a coordinating kitty blanket out of the scraps and have been
eyeing the final scrap pile (fits in one large hand) trying to decide whether
or not to give it up and move on to another project or create a flannel doll
blanket. Considering we have seven grandsons and only one granddaughter who
turned 14 this year, I think I’ll probably give up on it. Here's a picture of Verne taking a well-deserved nap with his new Blankie after working four hours on the road cutting, raking, and hauling wood and slash.
Back to Joann’s…unusual for me, but I didn’t visit the store
for several months after its opening. Even the 50%-60% coupons sent to
residents didn’t entice me. But then I stopped with a specific purpose one day
in December and I’ve been one of their regulars since. I no longer let those
50% coupons expire in my purse and I’m even up to using both the paper and
digital coupons. I used one of them to buy a completely unnecessary book on
crocheting a few weeks ago…it’s the equivalent to the One Skein Wonders for
knitting. I bought a crochet hook (it’s been so long mine have been misplaced),
bought a skein of yarn from Rumplestiltskin (it was wrong and I took it back
yesterday and now have a store credit…DANG!), ordered the correct yarn on-line
(an expensive, but gorgeous hand-died yarn with long runs of six colors), and
spent about three days making a 13” pillow for Jana. That is, I crocheted the
top. The backing is fabric and I now need to embroider a chain stitch around
the edges (exactly 51 stitches per side…that’s going to be a challenge) and
then single crochet the top to the back. I’m short on yarn and it’s really
doubtful it will stretch 50+ inches, in which case I’m not sure what I’ll do.
Rip out a few rows and crochet them with a smaller needle? I don’t have a clue!
But, I am determined to finish it and give it to Jana on our next trip to
SoCal.
That’s the extent of my January creations - all done in the
last week or so. My next project will require the long-arm…it’s been months and
I’m hoping the machine still works. Lauren has made a beautiful quilt for her
co-worker and I have less than a week to get it quilted and mailed to her in
time for her friend’s retirement party. I’m feeling the pressure, but it’s a
good feeling and it's good to be back at the studio (still without a bathroom) and my studio cat! Here's a selfie Ernie and I took...
Labels: General



2 Comments:
Stop posing with your cats and get to quilting!
LOL! It's thanks to you that I have that little red-headed distraction!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home